Sunday, September 13, 2009

Half Marathon in Novosibirsk sees 3 foreigners running

Yesterday, 12 September as part of the Interra Forum 2009, Novosibirsk hosted the yearly Half Marathon event. After few problems with registration (you can read more on Bruce Lenorf blog) myself, my husband Jonathan Abbott and Bruno Lecerf managed to get to the start line of the Novosibirsk Half Marathon and complete it successfully.
The event saw few runners participating (not sure how jogging or running is popular here, I think Russian prefer hockey or figure skating) running up and down Krasni Prospect, exactly 6 times.

The run started sharply at 10am for the women ( a bunch of 75 of them) and at 10.10am for the man (almost 350 of them). The organization wasn't bad at all, there was quite a lot going on around the race and even if I couldn't see much as I was running, it sounded like the non-runners were having some fun.

The foreigners didn't do too badly. Bruno, with good training in his legs managed to achieve a good result with 1h39min. Jonathan Abbott after a business trip, a week fighting a bad cough and only few weeks of training in his legs finished at 1h.55min
And what about me??? Well... few older women beat me and that wasn't great but I completed the race in 2h.5min and thanks to my elegant and fast finish I got also a little interview at the end but I was almost too tired to speak.

My impressions: the half marathon route was kind of boring considering you had to go down and up the same way for 6 times, the up part especially... I didn't enjoy!!!!
They had one water station which was much appreciated and quite a lot of photographers... I think a couple of them got a good one of me!
Overall I was a bit sad that so little people actually run it, if I compare it with other runs I have done this had the least amount of runners involved and effected the atmosphere around. Myself and the other foreigner runners thought that there could be a nicer route in Akademgorodok and the run could be a bit more interesting.... well this is a suggestion to take in for next year.
Pictures and results on http://www.marafon.nsk.ru/

A special thank you to the support team: Nicolas Droger, Nadine Skale and Natasha Eltzova (they delivered water, took pictures and videos and most of all got up very early on Saturday morning to be with us from the very beginning!!!!)

No comments: